Most clients are nervous when they arrive at the spa for their first waxing appointment. This is understandable and the esthetics staff at Spa Atlantis is committed to providing the safest and most comfortable experience for our guests. Because of this standard we use the NuFree Hair Removal System for all of our waxing services.
Although the hair removal services offered at the spa are listed as “waxing” services on our menu, NuFree is not actually a wax. It contains no wax, sugar or honey. All ingredients found in the more common waxing products. NuFree is a cruelty-free, natural, botanical product that is anhydrous, meaning it contains no water, antibacterial and antimicrobial. It was developed over thirty years ago by plastic surgeons that needed a safe method of hair removal for pre-op patients. It was tested and developed for ten years before it hit the market place.
What makes it so safe is that it does not dry on or stick to the skin. NuFree only adheres to the hair it is applied to making every pull the esthetician makes safe and comfortable for the client.
Waxing is an easy and effective service for achieving smooth, hair-free skin. It is important that our clients get the best possible results. Here are a few pre and post service tips that will ensure this.
Best Preparation Practices Before Your Waxing Appointment
- Hair needs to be at least ¼” long for the wax to grab onto. Please abstain from any type of hair removal for at least two weeks before your service.
- The use of topical AHA’s and retinoids are not compatible with waxing. Please discontinue using these types of products on any area of the body 7-10 days before your service.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or stimulants before your service. Stimulants tighten the pores making hair removal more difficult and uncomfortable.
What to expect during your appointment
Typically a waxing service will last an average of 30-45 minutes. This time varies depending on the area to be waxed and the hair type. The esthetician wears gloves and uses disposable wooden spatulas to apply thin layers of NuFree to the surface of the skin. NuFree is removed by applying a pellon strip to the applied product and while the esthetician holds the guest’s skin taut the esthetician quickly removes the strip. The esthetician works in sections until the desired area is cleared of hair.
When the area is free from all unwanted hair an oil is applied to remove any residual NuFree product from the skin. Lastly an antimicrobial finishing product called Finipil is applied to the area to soothe the skin, protect the area and help prevent ingrown hairs. Finipil is proven to kill 99.999% of germs protecting clients from any possible infection. It also impedes hair growth and helps to give a longer lasting result.
Home Care Post-Wax
Finipil is an excellent product to use in between waxes and we retail it for that reason. I recommend that my clients use it twice daily to help keep follicles clear and skin free from bumps.
Immedietely following a hair removal service it is important to avoid excessive heat or friction to the area. For the rest of the day avoid working out or any strenuous physical activity. Avoid taking warm showers or soaking in a tub. It is also best to keep any body products with fragrance in them away from freshly waxed skin.
Common Post-Wax Side Effects
- Redness and Inflammation of the Waxed Area- It is very common for some degree of redness or inflammation to occur right after a hair removal service. This is especially common for first time clients and usually subsides throughout the day.
- Pain- If you become sensitive after a Brazilian or bikini wax this is normal. Taking a cool shower and applying a cool compress and Aloe Vera gel or other recommended treatment products to the area will help soothe discomfort. Avoid tight clothing for a day to prevent irritation.
- Post-Waxing Bumps and Pimples- A pimple or two and maybe even a breakout can happen even if you’re not prone to acne or have oily skin.
- Ingrown Hairs- An ingrown after waxing happens when the hair grows back into the skin. Most commonly it occurs in areas where the hair is thick and/or curly.
- Red Dots or Even a Very Small Amount of Blood – Red dots and a small amount of blood is normal. This occurs because the hair is being removed from deep down causing the hair shaft to remain open. It happens more where hair is thick like the underarms, bikini area or men’s body hair. This will go away. Remember that everyone is different so the time the redness or dots last can vary from person to person.
Anyone who receives a hair removal service is at risk for these side effects. You’re especially at risk if you’re new to waxing or don’t receive regular waxes because you have denser hair growth in the treatment area. Regular bikini waxing helps to condition your skin as well as the hair follicles, making any side effects much less common.